- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix (prepared according to package, I used Duncan Hines)
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese (Softened)
- 1 egg
- 4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Whipped Cream (optional) – I made cream cheese frosting instead
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F – I preheated to 335 degrees F.
- Prepare red velvet cake batter according to package. Spoon batter into a cupcake pan filled with paper liners. Fill each cup ½ full.
- In a separate bowl whip together the cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Spoon 1½ to 2 Tbsp of the cream cheese mixture on top of each of the cake batter filled cups.
- Use a butter knife to swirl the cheesecake by moving it up and down. Then left to right through the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool and top with whipped cream if desired — I made cream cheese frosting instead (keep reading for recipe).
- Store uneaten cupcakes in an airtight container in the fridge.
Makes 24 mini cupcakes plus 16 regular cupcakes. Simple to make – don’t stress about perfecting the swirls because they don’t come out the way you expect. There are a great treat to share, if you can manage to hold yourself from eating them all yourself…
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.