3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
5 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
2. Spray 9″ x 13″ baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, combine ingredients for cake, EXCEPT butter. Don’t over-mix, just stir until combined.
4. Slowly add 1/2 cup melted butter while mixing. Mix until just combined.
5. Spread batter evenly in baking dish.
6. Make filling by combining all ingredients: softened butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
7. Drop cinnamon filling onto cake batter by spoonfuls.
9. Bake 35-40 minutes, until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
10. While cake is baking, make the glaze. Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
11. Pour glaze over warm cake. Glaze will settle into the grooves created from baking.
I tried to cut back on sugar (as with most of the other recipes I’ve tried), used about 1/3 cup sugar for the cake. Tasted alright, but not quite the taste I was hoping to achieve. I forgot that cinnamon rolls are all about being sweet, so my advice is not to hold back on the sugar! If you do, maybe 3/4 cup for the cake should be fine. Sugar and cinnamon are key to this recipe. Any reductions may make it bland.