3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of one lemon, divided
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch slices
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups fresh blackberries
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Mix together flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, cinnamon salt and lemon zest. Add the butter, egg and vanilla extract. Keep mixing until dough is crumbly.
3. Pat half of dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, saving the remaining dough for the topping.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice.
5. Gently mix in the blackberries.
6. Sprinkle the blackberry mixture evenly over the crust.
7. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
8. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown (you are only looking for the top to slightly brown — if you cook too long, the bottom will burn).
9. Cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in an airtight container.
This looks absolutely amazing, and tastes great too! I reduced the sugar (you can add 1/4-1/2 cup sugar to the blackberries if you want it to be more sweet). I also skipped the lemon zest, but the lemon juice alone is sufficient for the citrus flavor. The crumbs add a nice texture to the bars.