- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups rotini pasta
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, or more, to taste (I used honey barbecue sauce)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Stir in chicken and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring often, until onions have become translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, milk, pasta, salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 13-16 minutes.
- Stir in barbecue sauce and cheese until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
Love this recipe! BBQ sauce plus chicken stock with pasta – genius. Very flavorful, very colorful, very likely to try this recipe again! I added brussels sprouts and doubled the recipe. I made enough to last for DAYS, even WEEKS.
Should add more garlic, and next time: boil the pasta ahead of time and combine with the other ingredients rather than cook altogether in one pot because the noodles seemed to take forever to cook when combined. You can also add bacon or use a different type of cheese (I used Parmesan). You can also kick it up a notch by adding red pepper flakes.