- 1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter, Melted
- 1 Package (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, Softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 16oz Powdered Sugar (or 3¾ Cups)
- Sprinkles, Optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix dry cake mix, egg, and butter until well combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer until smooth. Add eggs, and beat until thoroughly combined. Add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Evenly pour the cream cheese mixture over the cake mix layer, spreading and leveling with a spatula. Top with sprinkles, optional.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, or until set but “gooey” in the middle.
I know, it’s definitely not the prettiest dessert I’ve made, but trust me, it tasted WAY better than it looks! It’s a fairly simple recipe (gotta love recipes that use cake mix as shortcuts!), but I was in a rush to make this, hence the poor presentation! I’d recommend covering the cake with foil to prevent burning/yellowing of the cream cheese layer. I didn’t have enough time to let the cream cheese layer completely set. It had mostly set, and then the random unprepared spots of liquid decided to wash over the entire cake while I was transporting the cake in the back of my car, un-setting the entire layer. Sigh.
As the name suggests, these bars are gooey. You can wipe your knife after each cut in order to have cleaner cuts for the bars, unless you’re impatient and really don’t care about presentation. Soft and chewy, these will get devoured in the blink of an eye!