- 1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup (1 Stick) Butter, Melted
- 1 Package (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, Softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 16oz Powdered Sugar (or 3¾ Cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix dry cake mix, egg, and butter until well combined. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer until smooth. Add eggs, and beat until thoroughly combined. Add powdered sugar and beat until combined. Evenly pour the cream cheese mixture over the cake mix layer, spreading and leveling with a spatula.
- Bake 25-35 minutes, or until set but “gooey” in the middle.
Last time, I didn’t give enough time for the ooey gooey bars to set. This time, I tried to speed up the process by refrigerating (for a few minutes, but this wasn’t working fast enough for me), then freezing (for about 10 minutes) the bars. However, I may have cooled the bars TOO much…They turned out to be more solid than gooey, but they were still soft when bitten into. Nonetheless, they tasted delicious both as is (slightly chilled) and microwaved. Hopefully the next time I make this, the bars will have plenty of time to cool on its own, without any influence on my part to speed up the cooling process!